Brooks Chapel History

In the fall of 1910, construction began on a beautiful brick church overlooking downtown Brooks, GA.

When the church was dedicated in April of 1911, it shared a "circuit preacher" with neighboring churches.

On off Sundays when the preacher was away, Brooks United became popular for its "singing" revivals that drew large crowds from Senoia, Luthersville, and Griffin.

Downtown BrooksFor five generations, the church prospered and made changes inside to accommodate its growing membership.

Eventually the congregation outgrew the quaint little church, and in May of 1997 the congregation moved to its current location on Morgan Mill Road.

The old church served briefly as Brooks Town Hall, and in 2012 the name "Brooks Chapel" was approved by the city and an intense three year renovation began.

Brooks United Methodist
Downtown Brooks

They removed and stored all the pews, tore out old carpet, and removed both padding and staples.  

After removing the dropped ceiling, they found the old tin ceiling, which they were able to preserve.

The acoustics in the room are amazing - the WHS orchestra holds their spring concert in Brooks Chapel every year because of the terrific natural sound.

Locals who loved the old church worked tirelessly together on the renovation inside and out, repairing water damage, replacing sheetrock, painting, installing light fixtures, resetting the glass in the windows, refinishing the hardwood floors, and installing new HVAC systems.